For me looking after my body through good nutrition and exercise has been life changing
When chatting with many of my clients about their goals and what they want to see – I often find there is a focus on the outside body and appearance. We live in a world where the focus and attention is often about what we look like, which can be very stressful and sometime anxiety producing to many people as we are not all built like super models. In fact, in the real world we live it is not realistic or healthy for us to look like the men and women in the magazines.
For me looking after my body through good nutrition and exercise has been life changing on many levels and has allowed me to be fit, toned but most of all I feel healthy and in the best shape of my life – in fact I often say to people that I am training to be fit for life and living!
This I can certainly appreciate in my life, as there was a time in my life when my health was not the best and it impacted on the quality of my life immensely. I worked hard to turn my life around, through medical assistance, a change of mindset, nutrition and embracing fitness and exercise.
This is why I wanted to share this article to show you how exercise can have a positive effect on your health and you don’t even realise it while you are doing it.
Health benefits of exercise
1. Exercise can improve circulation of blood around the body – transporting nutrients and wastes to and from all of the organs and glands of your body. If you have poor circulation, just heading out doors for a nice walk around the block can do your body the world of good.
2. It can also stimulate the release of thyroid, adrenal and pituitary hormones which can assist in boosting and maintaining your metabolic rate.
3. It can also stimulate the production of growth hormone which can help in the repair and growth of body tissue like muscle, bone, hair, nails and skin.
4. Exercise helps to reduce the risks of type 2 diabetes – as it assists the blood sugar into the cells and reduces insulin requirements.
5. It releases feel good endorphins which can help to improve your energy levels and mood – this can be beneficial if you are dealing with life or work stress, depression, anxiety and even insomnia.
6. Exercise can also assist your bowels to work more regularly.
7. It has been shown that regular exercise over a long period of time can help to improve cholesterol and blood pressure.
8. It also can help to improve and maintain bone density which is extremely important as we get older and are more susceptible to osteoporosis.
As you can see exercise can play an important role in maintaining and improving your health but it should never be used on its own to overcome any major illness or disease – seeking the assistance of medical professionals is extremely important.
So next time you are exercising remind yourself that you are doing more for your body than you think – it’s not all about body image and getting muscles – it’s about a healthier, happier life and you just get to look and feel better about yourself along the way!
Shelley Myatt is the owner and operator of Shelley Myatt Fitness and Well-Being, Columnist, Life Coach & Motivational Speaker based in Toowoomba, Qld.