Get active with incidental exercise and increase your health and your fitness
One thing I have found over the years with working with people who want to make a health and lifestyle change - is that everyone is individual and what works for one person may not work for someone else.
I work in the fitness industry and I love to exercise and I love to motivate others through my passion for exercise, but there are times I encounter people who just do not enjoy exercise and who find it physically and emotionally challenging to workout.
Usually when this happens I know that we have to find other avenues to make health and fitness changes. If you are not enjoying what you do, you are not going to make a commitment to stick to your exercise routine.
If you are someone who feels this way about exercise than I have the solution for you, and you can incorporate it into your everyday activity and still achieve your health and fitness goals.
What I'm talking about is increasing and incorporating incidental exercise into your everyday life - incidental exercise is any exercise or physical activity that is part of your daily routine. This can include walking around the supermarket, doing house hold chores such as vacuuming or even just getting up to change the channel of the television.
Exercise is all about movement - so any form of movement throughout your day will help you yield the results you are looking for.
Six ways to increase your incidental exercise
1. Park far away from a store in the parking lot instead of driving around waiting for the closet spot. After shopping, push your cart all the way to the front of the store, rather that leaving it in the carpark.
2. Take the time to head outdoors for a walk in your lunch break - you might even find it will give you the time to clear your head ready for a productive afternoon at work.
3. Practice thee 3-floor rule: if your destination is 3 floors or less, take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. If it's more that 3 floors, get off at least one floor away and take the stairs.
4. Use a cordless phone and walk while you talk.
5. When on an outing make sure you park an extra block from your destination and walk to your location.
6. Put extra effort into household chores by adding energetic music - you could even set a time frame to completer your chores.
JUST START - THE SECRET OF GETTING AHEAD IS GETTING STARTED. THE SECRET OF GETTING STARTED IS BREAKING YOUR COMPLEX, OVERWHELMING TASKS INTO SAMLL MANAGALBE TASK AND THEN STARTING ON THE FIRST ONE"
I love is quote by Mark Twain - it says to me that we need to start with small steps and for some this is about becoming more active at home - so let's just start and begin to reap the benefits!
Strong Body Strong Mind Strong Spirit
May 10 000 Step Challenge
Over the years I have also found that by encouraging my clients to buy a pedometer or down load an app on your phone for a 10000 steps program can really get you motivated to keep moving thorough out your day.
This month I would like to encourage you to participate in my 10 000 steps challenge as a way to increase your incidental exercise and to be more active.
Aim to do 10000 steps throughout the day – if you don’t achieve it first up – don’t beat yourself up – just aim to increase each day’s activity until you are do your goal of 10000 step.
Record your steps each day to monitor your activity and to also see your improvements throughout the month.
Remember "Walk often live longer"
Only one week left to book into my very first indoor boot - camp. An opportunity to kick start or build your fitness.
Shelley Myatt is the owner and operator of Shelley Myatt Fitness and Well-Being, Columnist, Life Coach & Motivational Speaker based in Toowoomba, Qld.