But one thing I have found as a Mum is that it is important to also take the time to care of ourselve
Being a Mum has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I value it with all my heart, having my children I have always valued it as a special gift. Especially after having experienced the loss of two children in my life. Knowing how precious life is makes me treasure motherhood more than ever and I know that I’m not the only mother to feel this way.
Over the years us Mum’s devote a great deal of energy into providing and looking after our children, it is a role we take seriously as we want to make sure our children are happy and have the best opportunities to succeed in life. Sometimes on the road of motherhood we tend to forget about ourselves, we are forever putting other people’s needs first, our children, partners and extended family.
But one thing I have found as a Mum is that it is important to also take the time to care of ourselves, especially when it comes to our health and fitness.
As staying in shape physically has so many benefits.
1. Being a healthy and fit mum allows you to keep up with the physical demands of motherhood, not only when they are little, but also with all the running around us Mother’s do with school run’s and their various after school activities.
2. A strong healthy body helps us Mums to stay mentally focussed to cope with the emotional roller coaster of motherhood and the various issues come up as our children learn to grow socially, academically and physically.
3. Exercising can also provide a physical realise and time out from parenting and the other relationships in your life, it gives you some escape time when you exercise.
4. Exercise is a great way for Mums to form friendships especially if you join an exercise group or class.
5. Exercise can provide positive role modelling for our children which will lead to the creating healthy fitness patterns as they become older and eventually become adults.
6. It also can be a lot of fun, and it provides release those feel good hormones that put you in a good mood long after the workout. So when you get home to your family you will be super happy, energetic and ready for family time.
This Mother’s Day while you’re enjoying the special attention of your family and being pampered, take the time to set some new positive health and fitness goals to keep you in tip top shape for motherhood. After all, it is the most important job in the world and you deserve to enjoy it!
Shelley Myatt is the owner and operator of Shelley Myatt Fitness and Well-Being, Columnist, Life Coach & Motivational Speaker based in Toowoomba, Qld.