If you have never attempted yoga – now may be a perfect time to try it
Exercise doesn’t always have to be vigorous to be effective and for many of us fitness isn’t about smashing ourselves to have the perfect body – it is about maintaining our health and fitness so that we can have a better quality of life!
Exercise can be going for a walk with a friend, playing football in the park with the kids – I like to refer to exercise as moving and I always think that if it is fun there is a greater chance of continuing with it and having success in achieving your goals.
These days I see we all have such stressful busy lives, it is challenging to fit everything in and sometimes it is hard to take the time to care for ourselves and we find it more difficult to wind down and to relax – this is where I see holistic exercise as a fantastic solution as it incorporates fitness and relaxation all in one class.
Wellness classes such as Pilates and Yoga have become very popular for this very reason and recently there has been a real trend towards the introduction of holistic exercise in Toowoomba. Quite a few studios now specialise in Pilates, yoga and meditation classes.
If you have never attempted yoga – now may be a perfect time to try it and you may find that you have everything to gain and virtually nothing to lose by giving it a go. Not only can yoga improve your general health and fitness, as well as challenge the body, it can provide relaxation and pain relief depending on the type of yoga you wish to try. There is a yoga class to suit whatever you are looking for, whether you are 18 to 90 years of age, a beginner to advanced.
6 Reasons to give yoga a try
1. Pain relief – Yoga has been shown to assist pain relief, ranging from back, arthritis, joint pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia and much more.
2. Anxiety and depression – Yoga is a mind-body exercise, which means it benefits both you physically and emotionally. The combination of physical activity with mindfulness can help reduce stress, anxiety, depression, improve sleep pattern and enhance overall quality of life.
3. Increase flexibility and balance – as we get older, our flexibility and balance can suffer greatly, which can increase our risk of serious falls and fractures. Yoga is a fun and effective way to assist in the prevention of future injury. As it maintains muscular upper body and lower body strength, flexibility, posture, improve your gait, and can assist in weight loss.
4. Better Breathing and Lung Capacity – if you suffer from any respiratory issue such as asthma than yoga could be of benefit to you. As it involves deep purposeful breathing, which can help to improve breathing capacity and respiratory function.
5. Improved Heart Health – by assisting in the reduction of risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, blood sugar and stress.
6. If you are already exercising yoga could be a great exercise to incorporate into your regular routines as it will help to build core strength, stretch out those tired muscles and help to prevent injury.
This week could be the perfect week to try something new, and yoga could be just the thing you have been looking for!
Shelley Myatt is the owner and operator of Shelley Myatt Fitness and Well-Being, Columnist, Life Coach & Motivational Speaker based in Toowoomba, Qld.